Sunday, August 14, 2011

...Oyster PoBoys & Icy Cold-Bottled Barq's Rootbeer

Well, we made it on down the Mississippi Gulf Coast...Sad to say, I hadn't been there since before Katrina hit...This beautiful region is so dear to our hearts. When our boys were young we spent an entire summer in Pass Christian...it was here that we bonded with the kind people of Mississippi...we grew to love oyster poboys & an icy cold bottle of Barq's rootbeer...we played on the beaches after lunch, only to be rushed back inside later by the daily afternoon thunderstorms...it was here we experienced Mississippi history & learned of strong Southerners that traveled our same paths...it was here, we would dream dreams under the stately live oaks...

Joey & I returned back to find the people, as dear as ever...Katrina was devastating...I found myself tearful, as we passed by the abundant vacant lots, where many of the old beautiful mansions along the shoreline are now gone...yet, the live oaks remain...the sidewalks are still there...the front steps...many remain...& tell a story...a story of another time...









We found our favorite poboy restaurant, Pirate's Cove, though the original building was destroyed by the hurricane...thankfully, it has reopened in another spot...only dining outdoors now...it's here you'll find the dear locals...still reminiscing about Katrina, yet with a peaceful & thankful attitude...the beautiful people of the Mississippi Gulf Coast.


I'll close with this...I wanted a photo of a stately live oak...Joey indulged me & stopped at my first holler of "that's it!"...I pulled out my camera...jumped out of the truck...aimed & took a shot...Reflecting as I hopped back in, Joey asked..."did you see them?...go look again, up at the branches"...it was there I found... strands of Mardi Gras beads sparkling & dangling high up in that tree...obviously, once tossed by jubilant people having a grand time...a celebration...they found a reason to celebrate...& were dear enough to let us now enjoy the celebration, too...it was as if those beads spoke to me..."laissez le bon temp roulez" ("let the good times roll")...&, knowing the people down there..that's just what they are doing....& will continue to do...I hope you will join them...





No comments: